Victoria reported five new cases of coronavirus on Saturday, as the state continued to fight the outbreak Melbourne In the second week of closing.
The new cases, which were registered from 36,362 tests, come on the ninth day of Melbourne’s fourth lockdown, where health officials said Friday they had no intention of ending extended insurance early on, although two cases of what has been described as “transmission” were reclassified as false positives this week.
Three of the four new cases in Victoria on Friday were from family members previously reported to have traveled to New South Wales.
The strain of the virus – the contagious delta type that has become the dominant form of the virus in Covid-ravaged India – was discovered in a family of four, who returned to Victoria from the tourist mecca on the south coast of New South Wales in Jervis Bay last week.
On Friday, Victoria’s chief health officer, Brett Sutton, said genetic sequencing revealed that the cases linked to this outbreak were of a separate strain from the rest of the outbreak in the state, which has been linked to the kappa species.
At a press conference, he raised the possibility that the family had contracted the virus in New South Wales, which he described as “a very significant concern”.
“It has not been linked to any chain cases across Australia from hotel quarantine or anywhere else,” he said.
But NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard dismissed that claim, saying in an interview on Sydney radio station 2GB that there was “absolutely no evidence” that a family had contracted the virus in the state.
“No one knows where they got this from, exactly, exactly [variant] He said.