Dele Alli scored a superb overhead goal as Tottenham qualified for the Round of 16 in the Europa League with their 8–1 aggregate win over Wolfsberger of Austria.
Tottenham were already in control of a tie after winning 4-1 in the first leg, and quickly asserted their authority at home with the effort of the superb Allie.
It was in line with an impressive performance by Ali, who was at his creative best to set two goals as well.
Carlos Vinicius scored two goals, either side of Gareth Bale’s attempt.
No team in UEFA Cup or Europa League history eliminated a three-goal deficit from the first leg at home to progress and Wolfsberger had not threatened to do so here.
Tottenham could have had more, with Vinicius touching goalkeeper Manuel Cotten before Gustav Henrikson dropped the line.
Vinicius, however, scored with a header from behind from Alli’s cross, before substitute Bale hit the top corner of a through pass by the Englishman.
Striker Vinicius added his second and fourth goal for Tottenham to complete the defeat after good work from 16-year-old Dan Scarlett.
Jose Mourinho’s side will find out who they face in the next round during Friday’s draw.
Mourinho is still chasing the trophy
Tottenham manager Mourinho has doubled down on his methods this week and insists he will be remembered in North London for the right reasons.
A string of five defeats in six Premier League matches has raised questions about his job, but the Portuguese still has a chance to win two Cups this season with a club they have not seen in 13 years.
Mourinho, whose team competed in the Carabao Cup Final and now in the Round of 16 of the European League, was able to rest the likes of Harry Kane, Sun Heung Min and Tangwe Ndombele after winning in Budapest.
Bale was also left on the bench until 22 minutes from the end of time, perhaps with the Welshman in mind to start the Premier League against Burnley on Sunday.
Alli is a player Mourinho has used sparingly this season, but he confirmed his case for more game time with a superb opening goal 10 minutes later.
The playmaker switched the ball to Matt Doherty before finding the bottom corner with a bike kick on bounce after collecting the return.
Then Ali picked Vinicius in the back post with a good shot for the Brazilian player to lead with a header behind goalkeeper Coutin.
Bale set up the third goal from an Allie pass, allowing Mourinho to bring in 20-year-old defender Marcel Laviner and 17-year-old midfielder Nile John to their first appearance for Tottenham.
The young substitute Scarlett made the fourth goal, but he recovered the ball in the area to turn Vinicius into his sixth goal in the European League this season.
European League winners will earn a spot in the Champions League next season, but Mourinho’s interest will now turn to trying to fix his deficit by nine points so that Tottenham can secure a place in the elite competition in Europe via the Premier League.
“No emergency plan needed” – they said
Tottenham coach Jose Mourinho speaks to BTS Sport: “It was good, we won the game as we wanted and there was no need for the contingency plan, we played well for long periods and all four goals were beautiful.
“A special night for kids who played for the first time and without injuries.
“There is not a single player here to say I’m not happy with him, the performances were good, will they all start on Sunday? No, but we are playing Thursday, Sunday, Thursday.”
Scarlett mimics Mbappe – the stats
- Tottenham advanced to the Europa League last-16 for the first time since the 2015-2016 season, when Borussia Dortmund’s Thomas Tuchel was eliminated.
- Tottenham is the ninth different team to score more than 100 goals in the Europa League, with Benfica (53) and Seville (55) reaching this milestone in fewer matches (56).
- Austrian clubs have so far lost 21 of the 22 trips they have played to England in major European competitions, and FK Austria Wien were the only team to avoid defeat by Chelsea in the Cup Winners’ Cup match in October 1994.
- Jose Mourinho saw one of his teams score at least eight goals in a knockout match in Europe for the first time since his days at Real Madrid, when the Spanish side beat APOEL Nicosia 8-2 on aggregate in the Champions League quarter-finals. On 2011-12.
- Tottenham is the first English team to score four or more goals in both the home and away rounds of the European knockout match since Newcastle United in 1994-95 in the first round of the UEFA Cup against Royal Antwerp (5-0, 5-2 return).
- Dele Alli had a straight hand in three goals for the first time in the same match since December 2017 against Southampton.
- Carlos Vinicius has scored in each of his past four European League matches (six goals), and is the first Tottenham player to score in four consecutive European matches since German Defoe in November 2013.
- Vinicius scores a goal or assists every 66 minutes in all competitions for Tottenham this season (nine goals, three assists), the best average of any club player who has played at least 90 minutes this season.
- Dane Scarlett, aged 16 years and 337 days, is the first 16-year-old to score a Europa League goal since Kylian Mbappe in December 2015 for Monaco against Tottenham.
RZ Pellets WAC
Formation – composition 4-2-3-1
- 2DohertyBooked in 36 minutesReplaced withLavinierat 74 ‘Session minutes
- 4AlderweireldBooked in 77 minutes
- 33DaviesBooked in 65 minutes
- 17SissokoReplaced withJohnat 82 ‘Session minutes
- 11the AppleReplaced withbaleat 69 ‘Session minutes
- 20over thereReplaced withScarlettat 81 ‘Session minutes
- 23BurgoyneReplaced withLucas Mouraat 69 ‘Session minutes
- 45Elvis Morris
- 7Son Heung-min
- 27Lucas Moura
RZ Pellets WAC
Formation – composition 3-4-1-2
- 22BaumgartnerBooked in 61 minutesReplaced withGeurbeledziat 65 ‘Session minutes
- 27NovakReplaced withPavlichat 45 ‘Session minutes
- 17StratznigReplaced withRing youat 79 ‘Session minutes
- 24WernitznigBooked in 63 minutes
- 4ScherzerReplaced withBRICat 65 ‘Session minutes
- 11PanReplaced withJovilichat 45 ‘Session minutes
- 15thRing you
The match ended, Tottenham Hotspur 4, RZ Pilates WAC 0.
The second half ended, Tottenham Hotspur 4, RZ Pellets WAC 0.
Ben Davis (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Wrong from Christopher Wernitznig (RZ Pellets WAC).
Dane Scarlett (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Wrong for Mario Pellets (WAC).
Wrong from Carlos Vinicius (Tottenham Hotspur).
Guram Gyurbiledzi (RZ Pellets WAC) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Corner, Tottenham Hotspur. Against him, Manuel Cotten.
Attempt is prohibited. Scarlett (Tottenham Hotspur) shoots with his right foot from the center of the penalty area. With the help of Gareth Bale through the pass.
Goal! Tottenham Hotspur 4, RZ Pellets WAC 0. Carlos Vinicius (Tottenham Hotspur) shot with his left foot from the center of the penalty area into the lower left corner. With the help of Dean Scarlett.
Switch, Tottenham Hotspur. Neil John replaces Moses Sissoko.
Switch, Tottenham Hotspur. Dane Scarlett replaces Dele Alli.
Missed attempt. Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur), a right-footed shot from the left side of the penalty area, high and wide to the right. With the help of Lucas Moura.
Marcel Laviner (Tottenham Hotspur) won with a free kick in the defensive half.
Wrong by Guram Giorbelidze (RZ Pellets WAC).
Substitution, RZ Pellets WAC. Nemanja Rnic replaces Kai Stratznig.
Fault from Lucas Moura (Tottenham Hotspur).
Michael Lindel (RZ Pellets WAC) won a free kick in the defensive half.
A yellow card was shown to Toby Alderworld (Tottenham Hotspur).