Here are some important developments:
- Tokyo Olympics officially underway As uncertainty persists over the coronavirus pandemic, even after the Games have been postponed for a year and as officials take extraordinary precautions to limit the spread of the virus. The number of games-related coronavirus cases in Japan this month as of Wednesday reached 79, with more international athletes testing positive at home and unable to travel, Associated Press mentioned.
- Strict lockdown orders in Australia’s two largest cities so far Failed to curb the outbreak The most contagious delta variant was blamed. New coronavirus cases in Sydney and Melbourne Increased again on WednesdayAustralian officials said most of it was locally transmitted.
- France started on Wednesday Require proof of vaccination Or a negative coronavirus test for people seeking to enter places such as cinemas, museums, theaters, and swimming pools. The new measure comes as injuries in France 150 percent Over the past week, according to Health Minister Olivier Veran.
- The delta variant continued to rip through Asia, with Thailand and South Korea Report standard case numbers Wednesday. In Thailand, the authorities recorded more than 13,000 new cases, while Seoul recorded 1,784 injuries during the past 24 hours.
- The chief US expert on infectious diseases, Anthony S. Fauci, said Tuesday in remarks to the Senate that the delta variable is now a cause More than 80 percent of new infections in the United States of America.