Here are some important developments:
- European legislators and business groups Express growing criticism Continued US restrictions on international travel. As vaccinated American tourists travel back and forth for their summer vacations in Paris or Rome, European allies or partners of the Biden administration are finding it increasingly difficult to defend the US approach.
- Officials in Tokyo records a record number of infections with the Corona virus Tuesday, it recorded 2,848 new cases, the highest daily number ever and four times the average at the end of June. Even as case numbers rose in the city, the situation inside the Olympic bubble seemed to be more under control.
- After the head of the sister of the President of Tajikistan died in hospital, she was reported to be infected with the Corona virus, her three sons and Hit the country’s health minister And a senior doctor, according to local media. The reports have shed rare light on the sudden rise in cases in this Central Asian country, which for a while denied having any infections.
- The outbreak of the new Corona virus has led to factory closures in countries such as Vietnam and Bangladesh, Exacerbation of supply chain disruptions That could leave some US retailers with empty shelves as consumers start shopping for back to school.
- Iran, one of the countries hardest hit by the epidemic, has reported its spread Biggest one-day increase in new coronavirus cases On Tuesday, it recorded nearly 35,000 injuries and 357 deaths. The most recent increase was blamed on the more contagious delta variant. About 3 percent of the population has been fully vaccinated, according to publicly available figures.
- Chinese researchers have found that the antibodies produced by the Sinovac coronavirus vaccine fell below a major threshold About six months after the second dose, raising concerns about waning immunity as new variants spread.