Need a smart way to get rid of sugar cravings?
Look no further than dates, as they are a sweet natural treat that has become a trendy ingredient in bars, energy balls, and candy boxes.
Read on to learn more about date nutrition information and some simple ways to eat more of it.
What are dates?
Dates Are the palm fruits. It is one of the oldest cultivated foods known to man, and dates back to 4000 BC.
For centuries, people in the Middle East have consumed dates as a staple food and during religious ceremonies.
While you can eat dates directly from the tree, it is more common to buy them dried.
Of all the date varieties, Pass the unknown They are the largest and easiest to find at the grocery store.
Nutritional facts about dates
The first thing you will notice when eating dates is how sweet they are, which is reflected in their nutrition facts.
Are dates rich in sugar?
at all. just one The history of the unknown Dates contain 66.5 calories and 16 grams of sugar, so 96% of the calories in dates come from sugar!
However, you can enjoy dates as part of a balanced diet, but since they are high in sugar, be aware of how to incorporate them.
We highly recommend not to overeat the dates.
Benefits of eating dates
1. Dates are rich in fiber
Soluble fiber It forms a gelatinous substance in the intestine, which binds to bile salts, saturated fats and cholesterol, preventing them from entering the bloodstream.
This helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels and overall heart health.
Insoluble fiber adds bulk to stools and is great for staying regular.
Because fiber can help, too You feel full for a longer timeDates may be a useful weight loss food.
But make no mistake: you’ll still need proper portion control to create a Lack of calories To lose weight.
2. Dates are natural sweetener
Although they are high in sugar, dates usually do not Excess sugarThe things you should eat less of.
If you are looking to boost the nutritional quality of your diet, dates can be an alternative to regular refined sugar, especially in baked goods.
How does this work?
Natural sugar is still sugar and it will always be It is metabolized in the same way As added sugar.
But foods that contain natural sugars often contain: the basic, Which can help prevent high blood sugar.
According to Brittany Cramp, MPH, RD, “You can also pair dates with a protein source like peanut butter to make a more balanced snack.”
3. Dates are a rich source of vitamin B6 and minerals
Half a cup of dates (Roughly four) gives you 14% a daily value (DV) for potassium, 12% DV for magnesium, and 12% DV for manganese.
You also get 14% DV for Vitamin B6, Which plays a major role in metabolism.
For your information: The Percent Daily Value (% DV) shows how nutrients contribute to portions of food in your daily diet. This helps you know if a portion of a food is high or low in nutrients.
How to add dates to your diet
Dates are high in calories and sugar and should be consumed in moderation.
There is no set recommendation for the number of dates you did Should every day.
If you really enjoy them, it’s okay to eat dates every day, especially if you combine them with other foods to prepare balanced meals.
Here are some ways to add dates to your diet:
- Sweeten your juices with dates. Mix some dates with vegetables to make a naturally sweet smoothie.
- Cut the dates into slices for salads. A delicious way to eat dates is slices of leafy green salad with ricotta, feta, goat’s or blue cheese.
- Enjoy dates with oats. If you usually start your day with high-fiber oats (good for you!), Adding chopped dates can give your meal a boost of sweetness.
- Eat dates as a snack after exercise. Simple carbohydrates Like the sugar in it Dates It can help replenish muscle glycogen stores after a hard workout. Pair dates with protein, such as boiled eggs or cheese, to incorporate protein to build and repair muscle. “Dates can be easily carried and enjoyed during a long workout, especially outdoors,” Kramp adds.
- Take your dates for a walk. Mix the chopped dates with Nuts To make a simple blend.
- Enjoy dates in energy balls. Make yourself a sweet snack in less than 20 minutes by rolling dates in them Christmas Cake Energy Balls or Cinnamon Sugar Donut Holes Without Baking.