Here are some important developments:
- The Tokyo 2020 Games Organizing Committee reportedألعاب Record New daily coronavirus cases linked to the Olympics on Friday. At least 19 new infections were discovered, including three athletes who tested positive for the virus, just hours before the opening ceremonies.
- a New study from Hungary The Chinese Sinopharm vaccine was found to provide poor protection against covid-19 in the older population. This week, researchers said that 50 percent of blood samples taken from individuals over 80 showed no protective antibodies against the virus, even after a full course of the two-dose vaccine.
- Italy has stepped up the pressure on its unvaccinated population, declaring on Thursday that it is digital or print It will be necessary to pass health For access to many daily fun activities, including theaters and indoor dining.
- The Israeli Ministry of Health has new data Which suggests that the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine is only 39 percent effective in preventing delta-variant infections. The ministry said protection against severe disease remained high at 91 percent.
- The British government announced late Thursday that it was Exempting more than 10,000 workers in the food industry and other workers From the rules of isolating the Corona virus that caused Staff shortage In supermarkets and disrupted supply chains in other sectors such as hospitality.
- The United States is in “another pivotal moment” of the pandemic as a more transmissible delta variant is ripping through unvaccinated communities, causing hospitals to reach capacity in some areas, says Rochelle Wallinsky, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Thursday said.